Re: Europa-List: STOL enhancement?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: STOL enhancement?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:59:56
gtagr,

Forget adding leading edge slats to a Europa wing unless you are an aero
engineer and extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY, well versed in composite
construction.  =46rom building complex molds to vacuuming bagging, etc.

The best thing that anyone has attempted so far is to add vortex
generators to the wing to lower the stall speed.  I=92m not sure that
would help with takeoff, maybe, but sure would help on landing slower.

The Europa already has some pretty impressive short landing and takeoff
capability.  Not in the CH750 STOL league but might be good enough to
suffice for your needs.  When taking off to the south on my home field
(KTDO) I can be off the ground by Taxiway A2 and on landing I can easily
land and turn off on A2 without strong braking.

Find someone near you and see if you can get a demo of the capability or
a ride.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (50 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Aug 31, 2014, at 3:46 PM, gtagr <clive.maf@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thinking about my next a/c and I'm really after the CH750 STOL
capabilities - but the CH750 cruise performance (and styling) puts me
off that a/c.  Wondered if anyone had seen or attempted any enhancements
or developments to the Mono or TriGear to achieve this?

> Partial-span leading edge slats to the existing touring wings might be
an elegant solution . . . [Idea]