Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Radiators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Radiators
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 07:57:23

And I forgot to add yesterday the new style mechanical fuel pump won't
fit either! Not enough space between engine and radiator.

Pete

On 15/08/14 01:06, jonathanmilbank wrote:

> I possess new classic port and starboard radiators; not for sale but for when
my old ones fail. PM me if interested.

> BUT I wholeheartedly agree with the assertion that fitting the classic cowls
around the 912 series with associated short engine bearer frame is not the
cleverest
idea. I recently replaced my 80hp engine with 100hp and heaven help me
if ever I need to replace the starter motor.

> There isn't room to allow fitting of the longer higher torque starter motor
> because
the frame gets in the way. To replace the starter, I would need to lift
out the entire engine and then remove the bearer frame from the engine. That
is utterly HELLISH! My frame isn't true and needs persuading.

> The longer starter is a really good idea, to help overcome the higher
> compression
and prevent kick-backs. Also the latest CDI units with very retarded spark
for the first few seconds are intended for the same purpose.

> Fortunately the most helpful and experienced Kevin Dilks of Special Aviation
Services suggested that I employ a separate starter button to get past the
initial
inertia and build momentum for a couple of seconds before turning on the
ignition. It works a treat!

> However, I digress. I agree that the classic cowling and spinner give a much
sexier line to the airframe, compared with the snub-nosed XS look. So if you
insist
on a sleeker image and want to risk the space limitations of the original
design, then I'm willing to consider helping in some way.