Re: Europa-List: vibration effects on bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: vibration effects on bolts
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 13:17:46
I=92ve read that the reason for the XK120 being a two seater was to
provide space for a mechanic to ride along at all times=85

On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Nigel Graham <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>
wrote:

> I couldn't help smiling while reading this.
> I am involved with the restoration of a Jaguar XK120 and a few months
back, visited an ex Jaguar racing mechanic (well past retirement age) at
his immaculate workshop while searching for obscure bits. During a very
interesting discussion, he explained that years ago, Jags were plagued
with problems with the bell housing bolts backing out during endurance
races. The solution, discovered by trial and error, was to replace the
helical spring washer with plain washers.
> These old timers know a thing or two!
> Nowadays we have technology on our side - and thread locker.
>
> Nigel
>
> On 05/07/2014 14:54, duanefamly@aol.com wrote:
>> This is a very interesting video. It shows how, even with locking
washers, bolts and nuts simply back-off under vibration. But it stops
there. No help about what to do to prevent this problem. More research,
I guess.