Re: Europa-List: Noncontact fuel level indicator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Noncontact fuel level indicator
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:45:06

An ingenious solution, and perfectly executed. Kudos!

You could sell it easily to the other builders like me, or at least the board
layout,
and code....(which I'd like to duplicate for each saddle, and add some
software error checking etc).

Thanks for the great vid!!

Cheers,
Pete :-)
A239

> On Jun 22, 2014, at 10:12 PM, Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Regarding the fuel indicator, I made a brief video to show how it
> works. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagLfErDOQI
>

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Paul McAllister
> <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andrew, since you are writing code you might like to incorporate compensation
tables for the shape of the tank so you get a linear scale.

>> The system I have is a variant of Tony K's that weights the fuel with a 0 ~
1" pressure transducer. The fuel sloshing and tank shape compensation is done
with a PIC Micro.  It has worked flawlessly for 10 years.

>> Cheers, Paul

light to the fuel tank. When the flash light is held below the fuel level,
the entire fluid lights up. When the flash light is above the level, the tank
lights up. The contrast across the fluid level is about 10x. This is due to
light
being trapped above or below the level. See attached pictures.

>> So, I made a board with four LEDs in a column, and another board with
>> 10 photodetectors in a column. Using a microcontroller, I am flashing each
>> LED
in sequence, and then computing the liquid level based on the measured contrast.
The output is displayed on a 10-bar display. The LED board will attach to
the aft of the baggage bay bulkhead, with four holes to allow the light to get
through. The detector board has to attach somewhere on the front side of the
tank. This might be the tricky part because I need to make sure it is secure,
but also removable and does not interfere with the controls.