Re: Europa-List: Noncontact fuel level indicator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Noncontact fuel level indicator
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:02:44
I will take some photos and write up some details in a few days.

The idea was based on what I accidentally observed one day when
holding a flash light to the fuel tank. When the flash light is held
below the fuel level, the entire fluid lights up. When the flash light
is above the level, the tank lights up. The contrast across the fluid
level is about 10x. This is due to light being trapped above or below
the level. See attached pictures.

So, I made a board with four LEDs in a column, and another board with
10 photodetectors in a column. Using a microcontroller, I am flashing
each LED in sequence, and then computing the liquid level based on the
measured contrast. The output is displayed on a 10-bar display. The
LED board will attach to the aft of the baggage bay bulkhead, with
four holes to allow the light to get through. The detector board has
to attach somewhere on the front side of the tank. This might be the
tricky part because I need to make sure it is secure, but also
removable and does not interfere with the controls.