Europa-List: Re: Wheel Shimmy, Again!

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wheel Shimmy, Again!
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:48:46

Just over a year ago I completed converting my Classic from mono-wheel to
tricycle,
which is the cleverest thing I have done to my pride and joy since she first
flew in July 1997.

The nose-wheel assembly is bog standard with the normally supplied washers and
friction disc. I was advised that if I "fanny around" as most others do
following
the instructions, trying to adjust for optimum friction and yet hoping to
have smooth "turnability", I would be just as disappointed and frustrated as
most
others.

The trick is:

http://www.newgateonline.com/manufacturers/nye-lubricants/pg-44a-50gram-jar.html

Apply sparingly to the friction disc, probably only on one side is necessary,
but
I unthinkingly smeared it on both sides. No harm done though. Thereafter tighten
the stack of washers until, with the nose-wheel off the ground, it takes
some effort to turn the wheel. Not too difficult and heavy, but you be the
judge.

The result is that even after a year the aircraft can be turned smoothly without
stiction/jerkiness and shimmy just doesn't happen. I know what a sticky/jerky
nose-wheel can be like because I fly heavy 19-seat helicopters for a living
and this can be a problem when taxying to the runway.

When you come back to praise and thank me for this advice, I'll tell you how to
drop your climb oil temperature by 20C in a Classic with two water radiators
and an oil cooler piggy-backing behind the left one.

Read this topic online here: