Europa-List: Wheel Shimmy, Again!

Subject: Europa-List: Wheel Shimmy, Again!
From: robertpeterfrost <robertpeterfrost@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:05:25

We are experiencing nose wheel shimmy again on our XS Tri-Gear G-RPAF.
We have replaced the Belleville disc washers from Springmasters  and tried the
revised configuration of 6 off of the larger 95012 discs rather than the
original
4 off P281315 and 2 off 95012. We are also using Newgate Simms (NL 1013)
868H Gel on the friction plate. When we tighten it up we can only get the
Maximum damping friction to 15lb before it breaks, if we tighten the castilated
nut any further the damping effect diminishes to around 10ib. The required break
tension is stated at 8 to 10 kg (18 to 20lb).
Any suggestions to achieve the correct settings would be appreciated?

--------
Robert

Read this topic online here: