Europa-List: Europa-List: Re: Eu ropa crash in =?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=C3=BCbec

Subject: Europa-List: Europa-List: Re: Eu ropa crash in =?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=C3=BCbec?
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 23:01:13

Hey Bud, great posting - one of your best (and they're all good!)

Especially the bit about "aggressive nose down push required to preserve
airspeed".
I feel many pilots just DO NOT REALISE THIS!!  The subject has been continually
covered since god and man first invented aeroplanes but over 100 years
later the same mistakes get made.  Some pilots seem to labour under the
misapprehension
that "a 180 degree turn back can be made following an engine out at
(say) 500 feet".  Following an engine failure at this sort of height, by the
time the pilot has recognised and responded, the speed will have washed off
further.
With the nose now (hopefully) well down speed must be regained to a safe
manoeuvring speed.  By this time the plane will just about be at ground level
again.  The amount and rate of nose down pitch change and the deck attitude
that will be required to attain and maintain MUST NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED.
a 180 deg turn can be made with a very small height loss.  Some instructors
may demonstrate this but I feel this is a very highly dangerous demonstration
for a student's future if it is in any way linked to engine failure after take
off scenarios.
My comments above relate to ANY aircraft of course and not just the Europa.  Nor
in any way am I speculating that my above scenario of attempted turn back is
connected to the very sad German crash.

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono