Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re:

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re:
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 16:08:52

Graham, You should probably be contacting Mark Burton for
a definitive answer to that, but my understanding is that
the mark 2 SmartASS and the upcoming mk 3 (as opposed to
the mk 1) have solid state accelerometers built in and
they modify the speed slow & speed very slow messages in
realtion to the increased g effect on stall speed so that
if you are set for 60 as your approach speed if you pull a
60 degree bank whilst maintaining 60kt she will get
agitated
and tell you 'speed slow' or probably 'very slow'. You are
of
course increasing the AOA to achieve that bank angle and
the signal would go from probably yellow to red and the
associated audible warnings on the new Bendix King AOA
system would show comparable change.
            I accept that inaccurate profiling might
change
the stall speed and behaviour and favour a wing drop, but
nevertheless I feel strongly that the underlying critical
factor in the sort of disasters we are talking about is
allowing the speed to decay dramatically whilst heavily
distracted in a highly stressed situation. A slightly
inaccurate Classic wing might stall at say 42kts whilst my
beautiful XS wing stalls at 38 but neither of us should be
anywhere near these speeds unless moments from touch down!
In serious emergencies such as EFATOs even the most
experienced & qualified pilots can be distracted enough to
totally ignore speed control, so we all need a system that
points out in unignorable fashion that our speed is
getting dangerously slow, when we are looking out of the
window desperately trying to identify  a place we might
land without killing ourselves. Student pilots are
significantly
  more likely to die from stall/spin accidents with an
instructor
on board than flying solo. My (& I suspect most)
stall warner does not fit that bill. It is in the head
rest and advancing deafness and super new head sets mean
it is only just audible, and on top of that I am
used to ignoring it for much of the take off and landing
runs. Regards, David