Re: Europa-List: facebook or twitter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: facebook or twitter
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 20:38:23

On 6 May 2014, at 18:50, g-fizy wrote:

> Can i just throw a thought out to you all ,should we move to facebook or
> twitter
,, I am not a big fan of this old style forum ,,perhaps we could bring this
up at the AGM :-)

Jim - presumably that would be the AGM of Matronics, Inc - the organisation that
controls and runs the Europa e-mail list. (The Europa Club has no control over
the list - we did provide archive files to Matronics from the earlier period
when the Club _did_ run the list, but that is where the Club's involvement
ended.)

I imagine you have a plan whereby the archives of the Europa list would be
transferred
to whichever new tool you favour, and arrangements for that new tool to
provide similar search facilities as those provided by Matronics. I suppose
you have also figured out a persuasive argument that will make it clear to Matt
Dralle (head man at Matronics) how advantageous to him your new proposal will
be, to ensure that he takes down the Europa list and archives from his servers.

If "no" to any of the above, then you're just going to be fragmenting the Europa
community rather than doing anyone a favour. And even if you can answer "yes"
to all those questions, and have got Matt's agreement to take down his list
and archives, it's clear that most folk who have voiced an opinion are unlikely
to follow you anyway - we'll just set up another e-mail list somewhere else!

My personal feeling is that neither Twitter nor FaceBook is a suitable platform
for a technical discussion forum. Unlike many other posters here, I subscribe
to both, so I am not talking from a position of complete ignorance.

in friendship

Rowland