Re: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:30:31
Great looking fuel tank.

Hopefully this will also simplify the static discharge issue.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM, bill <bill.sue@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Sue and Bill Sisley
>

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tan
k  Date:
sue@orcon.net.nz>  Reply-To:
> [...]
> vertical cross-drilled pipe inside the tank allows the fuel to dribble do
wn
> without vapourising or having to contend with the back-pressure of a full
> tank.
>
> Fuel Level Monitoring.
> There are now far more options available to accurately monitor the fuel
> contents. Capacitance level sensors work well but are sensitive to fuel
> type, if you only ever use one type of fuel, this won't be an issue. They
> can be used with a "lookup table" to linearize the readout giving an
> accurate indication of fuel contents. Float switch stacks are the next
> option, (as supplied by Europa) they are reliable and not fuel sensitive
> but give a non-linear indication. I opted for the former but included fou
> optical sensors to give an independent indication of fuel contents at
> "Full", 2/3 1/3 and "Reserve" and chose to delete the standard "stand
> pipe", which, without any method of isolating, I considered a safety risk
.

> Maintenance
> Now is a good time to include an inspection hatch. Machine a large
> diameter "weld-in" ring with matching cover, tapped for at least six bolt
s.
> Include a groove to accept a Viton "O" ring to seal the joint. This cover
> also makes an ideal mount for the fuel level sender.
>
> Good luck and keep us informed of progress.
>
> Nigel
>

> On 11/11/2013 22:43, bill wrote:
>
> Thank you Nigel,
>
> Having got the top off now I can see that the leak is at the shelf on the
> front of the tank where it sits on the mount. It appears that the
> fibreglass had bonded to the tank and with movement caused a fracture due
> to the stress. Having looked at the tank now which is very deformed and
> reducing capacity, I am sure a "metal" one will be much superior.
> Fortunately there are some very good craftsman around here so fabrication
> will not be a problem. Not sure we will get to the same volume as you hav
> but will certainly look for more than I have now. Will send some pic,s wh
en
> all done.
>
> Regards
>
> Sue and Bill Sisley
> On 12/11/2013 8:55 a.m., nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk wrote:
>
> Hello Bill,
>
> I'm a bit late getting back on this one but as others have said, I built
> tank out of 5251 quarter-hard magnesium alloy.
> It weighs 7850 grams and has a capacity of 110 litres.
> I incorporated internal baffles, and breathers with proper AN fittings to
> accommodate alloy pipework. It is also fitted with a full length capaciti
ve
> probe and four solid-state optical fuel level sensors.
>
> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=28719
>
> The only advice I would offer is: allow yourself a long time to make and
perfect your cardboard templates - the fuselage is partly conical in sectio
n so the development will be an interesting shape. Choose a welder based on
 his ability to weld alloy and don't fall into the trap I did of restrictin
g yourself to a CAA approved welder whose self-belief exceeded his ability!

> Nigel

orcon.net.nz>