Europa-List: Re: New cockpit panel

Subject: Europa-List: Re: New cockpit panel
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 00:45:34

Chaps,
The LAA mod process is slow but does not need to be expensive, the rate of
charges
to submit a new mod is in fact quite low.  For a new full width panel there
would be little stress justification required and no testing.

The current  panel profile and stiffness have never, to my knowledge, been
subjected
to any form of compliance testing (nor are there any specific requirements).

The revised panel, to full width would need to be shown to have zero or
negligible
effect on visibility, be shown to have sufficient margins of strength in the
means of fastening it to the fuselage, allow full stick movement and not impede
exit in the case of an emergency.

Much of the above are common sense, wordy type submissions.  The stress work
involves
simple sums to show the shear forces and bending moments applied to the
fuselage via the attachments are good.

Frans in Holland did a nice job of his full width panel.  It seems like a
sensible
starting point for anyone doing the same.  I started the process myself a
few years ago (purchasing the club spare panel) but ended up with an articulated
mount for an iPad instead - see pictures of GIPOD on 'airlines' etc.

Regards
John

--------
John Wighton