Europa-List: Re: Flap Closeout Closeout

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flap Closeout Closeout
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 03:06:50

Hi Tony

It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like you have "tripple"
expanding
foam.

I have fooled a bit, especially with Foam Radio Controlled models and low
expanding
foam is the secret. Once cured it trims up very nice with a razor blade or
knife.

I used the low expanding foam to support my fuel tank after the cockpit module
was installed.
See "Say NO to crack":
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=86925

Remember that the flap cross tube articulates as the flap is raised and lowered,
in other words the angle it meets up with the flap drive pin changes. You need
to take this into account. I have a drawing in my build manual, I think it
came about from England, perhaps I downloaded from the Europa club, but it
called
for building up the OD of the outboard flap tube, perhaps it was somewhere
between 1/8" and 1/4" (I'm not exactly sure), then the tapered guide fit
reasonably
close to that built up OD that would allow you to get the pin engaged,
then when you sent it home (pushed the flap all the way on the pin) the tapered
guide went away so you now have clearance between the tapered guide and the
now normal OD flap drive cross tube.

So many words, my thoughts are now probably clear as mud!:
See Useful Mod 10303:
http://www.theeuropaclub.org/for-builders/europa-mods-sbs/laa-all-of-type/

I don't know if I'm going to install a ramp/guide or close the flaps out. If I
do I have some of the shaped bluefoam that I used to make the close out. Off the
cuff perhaps shape some blue foam somewhat close to the shape you want and
fill voids with expanding foam? It will not cure unless a little moisture can
get as it. If you shoot lets say under a close fitting block, may take a "LONG"
time to cure and would be expanding and oozing half of forever. Thus fool on
a test making some holes in the blue foam. You could light mist a side of the
foam too if you are in a dry area. Or make a outboard rib out of Balsa and light
cover with thin glass, drill a small water drain out on bottom?

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: