Re: Europa-List: Nicopress Sleeves

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nicopress Sleeves
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:59:47

Hi Rowland,

Thank you for your reply. I only vaguely remember the 3 crimps. I have a big
squeezer,
like a set of bolt cutters. It has about 5 positions, so you choose the
one you want, position a little out each side as it is nominally shorter than
the nicopress, hold the cable tight, and squeeze.

The issue I have is that we are squeezing things into a circle, and one could
think
that you wouldnt be disturbing anything if you squeezed the small amount
of Nicopress that exudes out the jaws of your tool, back into the circle. The
other portions of the circumference shouldnt be unduly pressured, as they are
already compressed to the inner diameter.
I just struggle with the logic.
Still, I have a test tool, and they fit correctly now that they have been
squeezed,
so they are correct. Ironic that there is a small link in the tailwheel setup
that has a double nicopress on each end of a 5 link. Dont know why that is,
considering by rights you shouldnt need a second nicopress.

Im about to go off and have a look at the link you gave me, and cross my fingers
that it works down under, or that I am not a subscriber. Thanks for digging
it out anyway. I think I may have a written reference here at home somewhere
that
talks about these things, but on first look I couldnt find it, so that is
why I asked the list, for that collective wisdom.

Thanks again.

Regards
Tony Renshaw

On 18 Feb 2014, at 12:20 am, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2014, at 12:04, Tony Renshaw wrote:
>
>> Quick question.why cant I tidy up a nicopress and squeeze it 90 degrees
>> rotated
after the first squeeze, to tidy the compress? If the first squeeze is correct,
the second squeeze shouldnt disturb the consequences of the first, should
it??

> Tony - I'd very much hesitate to do anything outside the recommended practice.
>
> The security of the sleeve depends on the ductile copper flowing into the
> surface
of the cable.

> The thing with copper is that it work-hardens, which is one of the reasons
> that
the Nicopress people require that the 3 crimps using their tool be done in
a specific order. If you re-work an already-worked piece of copper, you could
be cracking it because it's no longer as ductile. Or, you could be loosening the
grip of the sleeve by trying to push the copper at 90 degrees to the first
compression.

> If you're using one of the screw-down tools that compresses right across the
sleeve, I'd suggest that you be happy with the result after the first full
closure,
and not try to fiddle with it.

> There's some very good stuff about all aspects of terminating cables in a
> recent
(Dec 2013) Kitplanes article. Here's the URL I use to read it, but you may
not be able to get there if you are not a Kitplanes subscriber: