Europa-List: Flap cross tube

Subject: Europa-List: Flap cross tube
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:47:57
Hi Greg

My flap cross tube, including the inserts is 44 7/8".  It is off a
classic Mono serial 72.  The reason that I know this is because it is
sitting on my desk, and having been slightly bent I am just about to
order a new one.  Now I will check with Europa to ensure that they send
me one of the same length.  All this started when I left the runway into
very soft ground (a turnip patch - what we call swedes, or in Scotland
'neeps') and wrecked the prop.  I didn't notice the problem until I
found that there was a tendency to fly right wing low and examination
showed that the port aileron was not retracting fully and this was
traced to the FL15 being bent back by about 1/4"at the end.  I
straightened it by clamping in V-blocks and pulling (hard) on the other
end but found that, though straight, there was still a slight kink in
the tube on the inside of the former bend so decided to order a new one.
 I now wonder if that is really necessary.  What does anyone think?

Frank Mycroft   G-BWYD