Re: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:37:42
Just as an aside......

Fwiw for my other homebuilt I added a custom tiny alternator (actually a
high-current model airplane 3-phase brushless permanent magnet "outrunner"
motor)  I decided to not fully load the alternator constantly with these
wasteful regulators (in an effort to save power as well as longevity) but
instead let the rectified bus voltage climb to whatever the alternator will
produce (~27V at cruise RPM).  I then use a high-frequency switching
convertor (a potted single module)  to convert down to 13.4V for charging
the battery.  The convertor comes on line at an input voltage > 17V.  Seems
to work well so far.

Cheers,
Pete
A239