Re: Europa-List: Mod 78 News - Good and Bad

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 78 News - Good and Bad
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 18:25:33
Dave,
I have not experienced your problem with the cross link rod rubbing the
tank.  Most probably your tank was installed a bit forward but it
probably did swell as you indicate.
In 13 cockpit module builds I have always had 1/2 inch clearance and
never had a tank rub even after 5 years of flying.  Years ago I noticed
a plane that came in with a rubbing rod but the tank was put in a bit
askew and the aft bulkhead was pulled in 1/2 inch.

If the tank did not break its bond with the back wall or saddle then it
is really bowing quite a bit.  Armed with that bit of information and
not wanting to replace the tank, can you build another tank bracket to
ease the bulge back in the saddle area?

It is a nasty hole to work in for sure, and the modded spars really hog
the room.
What I am thinking is a flat aluminum plate of stiff 6061T6 aluminimum
1/8 by say 3 inches and make a U shape around the spars and pushing up
against the tank bulge.

Not being able to see your aircraft, this is a wild assed guess.

I had no problem clearing the bolt heads by countersinking and using AN
509 416R20 screws to replace the AN 4 bolts.  Countersinking was done
with a speacial tool we made.  30 minute job.

That said, it will be a game of inches for you for sure.
Borescope and time will tell what's happening I'm afraid.

Regards,
Bud Yerly