Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Hydraulic Dampers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Hydraulic Dampers
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:00:04

Carl,

I have just spoken with the manufacturer who confirms that they stopped
production of these units some time back and have no plans to produce
more. I did inquired about re-commissioning a batch to supply the
existing fleet (all of which are aging and will need these at some
point) but was assured that they have no plans re-start production. The
main reason for getting out of the market was the potential litigation
issues associated with "aviation", something that was not such an issue
twenty years ago when the first batches were produced.

If you succeed in sourcing an alternative shock manufacturer, It might
pay you to take an old unit to them and tell them it came off some
"machinery" as the moment the word "Aviation" is mentioned, the door
will close.

Good luck and keep us posted - I think a lot of owners of aging monos
will be watching this with keen interest.

Nigel

On 04/11/2013 10:24, Carl &amp; Dot Pattinson wrote:

> Just been on the phone to the factory for a set of damper units for the
> undercarriage
(current ones are shot).

> Apparently current supplier no longer makes these and they have yet to find a
replacement.

> Is there a third party company (preferably in the UK) that would be able to
> supply
a replacement.

> The builders manual says that the dampers are an optional item but having
> flown
with these fitted for the last 10 years we are reluctant to remove them -
although
in their present condition one might argue we may as well not have them
anyway.