Re: Europa-List: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 01:57:09

Jerry,
I got the basic GRT Sport single screen 8.4 inch augmenting some other
traditional
instruments. So far I have been very happy with the performance, low heat
creation and low draw of 1 ampere. Reads easily even in direct sunlight. The GRT
EFIS also easily interfaces with an formerly bought and now installed GRT EIS
for Rotax 912S I also installed - the EFIS duplicating all EIS data graphically
(I bought 2 extra CHT sensors) so I see all 4 cylinders graphically represented
over time. Easy, straight forward solid construction. Excellent customer
support and real people technical support within minutes. Only product promised
to keep working when GPS fails or pitot freezes over (not planning to go there).
GRT has a comparison of autopilots on their site worth reading.
Christoph Both
#223 C-GPEL Wolfville, Canada

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 3:53 PM, "N6ZY" <jffisher@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> When I started shopping for an EFIS, I was very tempted by the MGL units.  I
eventually did not go with them because, although very entrepreneurial, they
keep
changing the configuration and, worse, let you change it.  I do not want to
go IFR with a configuration that is not stable and extensively fleet tested.
After 20 years in military avionics, I am very keen on configuration management.

> You are right, with Dynon, you get what they offer with no changes.  I tend to
think that they are really aiming at the VFR and LSA market.  After an extensive
search, I ended up choosing between Advanced Flight Systems and Grand Rapids
Technology.  AFS costs more, and just got bought out by Dynon, so I am going
with GRT.

> I had an earlier version of their system, and can vouch for the quality of
> their
products.  And Greg, who owns GRT, is open to changes where they are justified.
Also he recommends that you do not fly IFR with his latest software until
there is extensive fleet experience.  They do not get as much publicity, but
I think that they currently have the best and most reliable products.