Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Centre Console

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Centre Console
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:08:20

I don't have a copy of mod 24 to hand but seem to remember the factory method
was
a bit of a "bodge" IMHO which is why we opted for a different solution.  We
created our LA inserts on the workbench (in the shape of a half kidney) then
reduxed them onto the hole we had cut in the cockpit module sides - then 4
layers
of bid inside and outside at the join edges for added strength.

I would be inclined to leave this as late in the build as possible as you really
need the swinging arm and tyre in place to get an accurate fit. We got it wrong
first time around and the tyre jammed in the up position - solved that little
hitch by fitting a narrower tyre and judicious use of a hot air gun to reform
the  bulge in the LA inserts.

With hindsight I think it would be possible to construct the innermost bid layer
of the LA bulge once the wheel was in place. It would then be relatively easy
(once cured) to bond in the thin foam layer and complete the outside layers
of bid from outside. If you had access to a vacuum pump you could vacuum mould
the foam and bid layers onto the original inner layers of glass which would give
a strong air free structure.

I have some pics somewhere - will try and dig them out.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

Sent from my ASUS Pad

spcialeffects <spcialeffects@aol.com> wrote:

>So after much thought I have decided to do mod 24, however I'm abit scared to
make the first cut of the centre console as it seems to be quite a drastic mod
to get extra bum room but I am going to do it. I just wanted to ask, before I
start it, to anyone here who has done this mod if they could post some pictures,
give any tips but most of all how far into the tunnel did you go? I.e how
much extra bum space did you achieve. Now the instruction sheet I have says to
make sure you miss the rudder cables and flap arm but I am looking at doing this
mod with the bear module so it is easier to lay up the inside so any
measurements
would be appricated. Failing all of that if you are selling an XS module
please contact me also. Thanks Frank