Re: Europa-List: Fuselage weakness, or intentional ??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuselage weakness, or intentional ??
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 12:33:03

I assume this is an important security feature isolating the cockpit cell from
the remainder of the back fuselage in case of a hard crash. Perhaps Ivan or Nev
or those involved on the first hours have an answer. I would be cautious to
make changes, especially reinforcements as in composite construction these
changes
allow forces to migrate  to other areas they might not be intended for, with
possibly undesirable consequences. The mandatory root layup Mod of the glider
wing speaks of this very clearly where such migratory consequences of material
stresses under high G were initially not taken into consideration.
Christoph
223 Europa classic
Wolfville Nova Scotia

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-10-06, at 1:10, "Tony Renshaw" <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gidday,
> Whilst working around in the lower fuse it has concerned me that my fuselage
has what appears to be an intentional absence of core material such that an
obvious
weakness exists in the fuselage directly above the penetrations for the
flap drive cross tube. Has anyone externally reinforced this area, by adding
core
material and strapping it in place, encapsulating it, and resulting in a
conventional
sandwich construction concept?