Re: Europa-List: Re: Bliss

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Bliss
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:30:56
Good question David!=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_______________________________
_=0A From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matron
ics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 29 September 2013, 10:20=0ASubject: Re: Europa-Lis
idjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A=0ACarl, Does your prop need balancing? Regards,
inson" <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:=0A> --> Europa-List message pos
ted by: "Carl Pattinson" <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>=0A> =0A> Hi Goff,=0A
> =0A> Apologies for the delay in responding - your email was lost in the p
ile of=0A> Europa related stuff that was in my mailbox.=0A> =0A> I have bee
n trying (off and on) to get good in cockpit quality for the last=0A> 5 yea
rs.=0A> =0A> It seems that as soon as you mount a camera to the aircraft st
ructure this=0A> picks up the vibrations on the airframe.- I have used a
Sanyo video cam, a=0A> VIO POV camera and latterly my Canon EOS 650.=0A>
=0A> Both the Sanyo and the Canon have Image stabilisers and are very effec
tive=0A> in reducing the camera shake - the problem is they both have relat
ively=0A> narrow lens angles (so you can't get the whole cockpit in frame).
 I did buy=0A> a wide angle adapter for the Sanyo but it isn't that wide an
gle and degrades=0A> the image quality. In all other respects it makes a de
cent job of in cockpit=0A> video.=0A> =0A> The VIO (http://vio-pov.com/) ha
s a similar really wide angle to the GoPro=0A> and the quality is superb bu
t as soon as you attach the lens to anywhere in=0A> the cockpit you get bad
 camera shake. If mounted on my headset (side of ear=0A> cup) the shake goe
s away but as a pilots head scans the horizon frequently=0A> its very diffi
cult footage to watch - also the camera is too far forward and=0A> you lose
 the cockpit panorama. The strange image you get with the rotating=0A> prop
 is a bit annoying but nothing I cant live with. I think VIO have since=0A>
 brought out a software fix for this anyway. If not I will definitely look
at=0A> mounting a piece of ND filter in front of the lens.=0A> =0A> I have
looked at various ways of isolating the vibrations but as yet nothing=0A> w
orked. It seems that the built in stabiliser systems are the only way=0A> f
orward. I believe the latest GoPro cameras have this built in (it may just
=0A> be in the processing software).=0A> =0A> Unfortunately I am (or rather
 was) a professional photographer and tend to=0A> be a little more picky th
an most - so my fault. Now that I am retired I=0A> should have more time to
 look at the problem - im sure there is a simple way=0A> of tackling the pr
oblem.=0A> =0A> Again, congratulations on the video footage at Bembridge -
I realised that=0A> your original footage would have been better quality bu
t was just curious to=0A> see how much better the original was.=0A> =0A> Th
anks for getting back to me.=0A> =0A> Kind regards,=0A> Carl=0A> =0A> -----
Original Message-----=0A> From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com=0A>
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of goff=0A> Sent:
 26 September 2013 13:11=0A> To: europa-list@matronics.com=0A> Subject: Eur
fmoore@aviators.net>=0A> =0A> Carl,=0A> =0A> Yes I do have the HD original.
 It's even better than the YouTube posting,=0A> which degrades the original
 a bit.=0A> =0A> Bob,=0A> =0A> I'm not sure what you mean by image shake. D
o you mean vibration from the=0A> prop and the fuselage? The GroPro is moun
ted to the cabin roof, just aft of=0A> the seats. I don't think it has buil
t in image stabilising software, so it=0A> must be my smooth flying!!=0A>
=0A> If you mean the absence of prop strobing, that's down to a little neut
ral=0A> density filter popped inside the GoPro case in front of the lens. I
 cut a=0A> piece the size and shape of a one euro coin from a sheet of thea
trical=0A> lighting filter acetate. Works wonders.=0A> =0A> Goff=0A> =0A>
=0A> =0A> =0A> Read this topic online here:=0A> =0A> http://forums.matronic
s.com/viewtopic.php?p=409259#409259=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A