Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line one-way-valve

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line one-way-valve
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:00:29

On 09/19/2013 06:43 PM, Raimo Toivio wrote:

> you are absolutely as right
>
> ******as usually*********
>
> (ask Ilona about these stars ;)

I will do!

> but still I am brave enough to consider that fuel will not be
> significantly "aged" when dropping or in fact spraying it from top of
> the tank. That spray will contact air just a split second during the
> drop distance from 0 to max say 40 cm.

Well, ever noticed in the shower how much the water cools down in the
same distance? It is pure interaction with the surrounding air...

> Notice you will use this fuel in
> hours

I often park my airplane with the tank about half filled.

> BTW have you any idea whats a typical fuel temperature rise from the
> tank outlet to the tank inlet? My guess is it is just couple of degrees
> only or even zero - flow rate is so high.

I don't know. But even it it were at room temperature I wouldn't think
that repeatedly cascading it down would do any good to its composition.

> Anyway - thanks you helped me/us to understand that return line
> potential danger IN TIME (and to do something to it). Among us is living
> at least one person who would have been very happy about that extra
> valve during his awful incident (IMHO).

It was at that moment of the incident I was installing the fuel hoses
and indeed considered that I didn't want to go that same route.

> Funny, we (me & my wife) feel comfortable over the shoreless sea or in
> the most thickiest cloud but so far we cannot even think about flying
> VFR over hostile & high terrain like Ilonas parents Alps.

This gets interesting. The places we feel incomfortable is when flying
in Scandinavia. With an almost blank GPS screen, and hours of flying
above just rocks, ice and maybe some trees (if you are not too far
north) beneath you. I've never observed an almost blank GPS screen,
except in Scandinavia, and I've never seen such strectched areas where
you can't find a landing area of 200 meters without hitting at least a
car sized rock. At our return flight from the North cape, at about 2am
in daylight conditions (for you not amazing but for the majority of
pilots it is) we were flying above terrain that looked very hostile and
didn't change for two hours. In these two hours we didn't see any road,
house, or whatever human structure. We felt very alone and wondered if
in case we would have to carry out a forced landing (between the endless
rocks) whether anybody would ever find our remains. Don't get me wrong,
I found it absolutely beautifull, very serene, the midnight sun, the
small amount of haze, the reddish sky, the blueish light surrounding you
and the absolute silence (radio contact got lost very soon). Even while
the engine was dutyfully whirring you could sense the silence around
you. And then to see a moon rise just in front of you. Priceless.
Then the Alps. Chances are big that if you look down at any spot you
will find an airfield beneath you. The mountains look agressive, but so
much cultivated that there is always some pasture, road, or anything
within gliding distance. There are plenty of shallow slopes. I guess it
is difficult to land uphill but of course it means that once in the
landing flare you will very quickly come to a halt. If in doubt, just
land uphill and gently fall down when your speed reaches zero just above
the tree tops.
I haven't seen much of these escape possibilities in Scandinavia. The
terrain, although filled with enormous rocks, is most of the time very
shallow. And even if you were to survive such a landing, you will freeze
to death, eaten by wolves or bears (no beers unfortunately!) before
someone finds you. If something is left at all.

Anyway, you are invited. If you want to go to the Alps, just let us
know. We can guide you in and probably offer some accommodation.

Frans