Re: Europa-List: Weight & Balance parameters requested: EUROPA CLASSIC

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Weight & Balance parameters requested: EUROPA CLASSIC
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 00:36:03
TRI

Christoph=0ADon't be too confused by different data, (datums? don't sound r
ight does it?)=0AThe critical issue is the relationship between Centre of P
ressure and C of G. The datum is an empirical position chosen for convenien
ce of calculation, so you need to refer your calculated CG to the datum use
d to calculate it. I suggest you use the XS datum point, remember you need
to be accurate with distance measurement, (0.1 inch.)-=0AI always use a s
preadsheet, this can be entered in your iPad to check loading in the field.
 This -works for any airplane. I simply enter the relevant lengths which
sometimes have a -ve sign if they are the other side of the datum. For anot
her airplane just alter the measurements.-=0AI hope that helps, please no
te I've had my nocturnal Scotch which might dilute quality of communication
.-=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Christoph B
oth <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>=0ATo: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-l
ist@matronics.com> =0ASent: Saturday, 7 September 2013, 23:09=0ASubject: Re
: Europa-List: Weight & Balance parameters requested: EUROPA  CLASSIC TRI
=0A =0A=0A=0ADear Europa Community:=0AI am in the process of establishing W
eight&Balance for my Europa Classic Engine Frame Trigear.=0AThe question of
 the firewall forward datum has come up as data produced from preliminary m
easurements of weight and distance have not yet returned a satisfactory ref
erence to the required 58'-62.5' CG envelope.-=0AThe Classic version I co
mpleted has the Classic Engine Mount fitted, this is why I referred to the
Pilot Handbook from 1998. However, the handbook shows only -the MONO conf
iguration. No reference to the recently more common zero station to be foun
d at 29.75 inches forward from the backward firewall juggle is made there.
And I assume this newer, more precise measurement probably applies to the X
S motor mount and cowling which might have quite different dimensions. -M
y Classic forward face of the cowling shows 29.0 inches from that firewall
juggle.=0AAm I missing something important here? Where exactly os the Zero
Datum for Classic Engine Mount Europas to be found?=0AFinally, I assume the
 nose wheel is supposed to point backwards towards the tail when taking wei
ght and distance measurements from station zero.=0AIf there is an official
documentation how to establish W&B for my configuration, I appreciate this.