RE: Europa-List: Spar pin bushes

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Spar pin bushes
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 13:46:40

Hi Andrew,

I had the same problem as you did. With the bushings dry-fit into the holes
into the cockpit module, it was a very tight fit for installing the wing
plus bolts into the module.
After scratching my head a little, I decided to split the difference, and
file the inboard part of both holes a little bit to prevent any offset
towards either side of the aircraft. Then if you set up your wings carefully
at the proper attitude at this stage, it should supply dividends throughout
the entire project. The front of the module was on the ground during this
procedure, and hence the leading and trailing edges of the wings were
pointed groundward and skyward, respectably. That way only two wing supports
were needed to be built up, and they doubled as wing holders for the rest of
the project. My wing pins still slide in easily, and the bushings never had
to be re-positioned later on. I Araldited (is that a verb? :) )and floxed
mine in at that early stage, but skipped putting in the 3mm plywood supports
over the bushings until the wing lift-drag pins were installed into the
fuselage...just in case the bushings didn't line up later, and needed to be
removed. All was good however, and I installed those plywood pieces about 6
months ago. I never had to support the bushings with anything but the
cockpit module.

If I remember correctly, my method of filing both holes in the cockpit
module was ok'd and verified by the company before I did it. It was only a
very small amount that needed to be filed.

To sum up, if the bushings are installed properly in the beginning (taking
lateral offsets and wing attitude into account) they should not ever have to
be removed or re-positioned later.

Regards,
Greg F