Europa-List: Re: Starter problems

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Starter problems
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 00:22:43

Hi Paul,
Yes I had a problem with the starter relay on two occasions:
Once I had a click as you described. With another pilot in the cockpit I managed
to short circuit the secondary coil of the relay to activate the starter so
that I can go back home. Afterwards I fitted a new relay. I tested the old one
on the bench and found it to be working properly, so I do not know the real
cause
of the problem.
The other issue was just the opposite: the relay became stuck and I had not
identified
the problem before take off, so I flew one half hour with the starter
running. Of course I cooked the starter motor. I have since installed a starter
engaged warning light.
Hope that helps
Regards
Remi