Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing lift and drag pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing lift and drag pins
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:21:26

On 08/20/2013 02:08 AM, Martin Tuck wrote:

> So the purpose of diving to VNe as part of the annual inspection is to
> determine what?

To see whether the aircraft can handle it. The test obviously fulfilled
its purpose.

On the other hand I would not feel comfortable cruising in an aircraft
at 140+ knots without knowing whether it can not even handle 163 knots
without breaking apart.
I have to admit I flew mine one time inadvertently shortly past Vne
(attempting to get down to an assigned altitude before entering the busy
Brussels TMA while being distracted by the radio and navigation at the
same time) but apart from the ASI needle position there was nothing
different than flying at lower speeds.

How was the Vne speed actually established? Why was it 163 and not 160,
or 170? I don't have the impression that the speed where flutter or
other bad things occur has been determined by actual flight- or wind
tunnel tests. I have seen other aircraft with exactly the same Vne
number. Is this value of 163 knots some sort of default value when no
factual data is available?

(No, I'm not voluntary going to explore this area. I'm just wondering,
especially because the cruise speed is so close to the Vne and the
Europa can build up speed very quickly when the pilot is distracted. I
also wonder what likely is to happen when the real, likely still
unknown, Vne is reached).

Frans