RE: Europa-List: MG Spins

Subject: RE: Europa-List: MG Spins
From: Ian Cook <iancook1@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:11:07
Karl,

It will not be cleared for deliberate spinning, as it will still be classed
as non-aerobatic, but at least we have now covered the currently approved
Mass 621 kg (1370 lb), C of G configurations (60.4 to 62.5), in and out of
spin control positions, flaps open and closed, wheel up and down cases. The
LAA and Europa are still to review all the data and videos so I will not
pre-empt their report other than to say it was generally good news, but as
with all Europa A/C, the spin is very near the vertical so care is needed
not to go too far forward with the stick or you can  get into negative 'g'
situations which can be off putting!  With care during recovery, speeds did
not go above 105 knots indicated (127 kt limit). However, we still need to
get the increase in mass approved (to at least 1450 lb), to be a viable
machine, it is currently too limited with the extra wing weight to operate
at 1370 lb standard XS limit.  Several of the take-off and landing at 1370
lb were completed from a grass strip 400 m by 20 m with 1 degree up slope
(290 ft above SL), from nil wind up the 12 cross wind limit without
problems.

Regards

Ian