Europa-List: Re: windscreen de-fogging

Subject: Europa-List: Re: windscreen de-fogging
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:32:15

i have read the discussion on the issue of defogging and it appears that
are no actual answers out there yet regarding airflow, temperature, etc.

I will add my meager data to the pool

My bird has a Blue Mountain EFIS 4 series which shuts down at temps
above abt 144F. I have a 24 cfm fan in a convective tower directly
above the EFIS leading into a 3 in louver directed into the plexi.
On a 90F sunny day as so many local days are here on Long Island,
without the fan, the EFIS will blackout within an hour of the plane out
of the hangar, flying or not. The installed fan slows the inexorable rise
somewhat
say by 15 min to overheat. Clearly unacceptable cooling. However,
it has actually cleared plexi condensation in two instances where it existed,
in about 5 minutes (this was light grey mist, not dripping condensation).

As I contemplate my move to much warmer clime, i will need to
re-engineer the cooling. These little muffin fans are not likely to be useful
even if ganged together. High velocity outside air is probably the best answer.
Actual flight testing is needed.

As usual, your mileage will vary

Ira

--------