Europa-List: Re: G-KITS.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: G-KITS.
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 10:52:07

Thank you Andy.  My Europa lives in a nice hangar on a country airfield in Kenya
for 10 months each year.  The other 2 months, it sits at the main lightplane
airfield of Kenya, outside in the sun and rain (because there is no space in
any hangar there), waiting for a Civil Aviation inspector to inspect it for its
annual "Kenya Restricted Certificate of Airworthiness".  Eventually an inspector
will come, usually facilitated to do so by a fat brown envelope.  This happens
year after year.  I have a Cambrai cover for the fuselage, but nothing for
wings and tailplane, so last year, at inspection time, I had a local cover-maker
make covers for wings and tail.  The sun came out, it rained, more sun,
and more rain.  The covers were soaked, then warmed, soaked again etc.  Finally
the inspector came and went, advising me that to get the Certificate renewed,
I would have to paint the words 'no push' in red paint on the ailerons. Two
months later, I noticed some of the osmosis bubbles had formed on the stabilator
surface, not many, but entirely due to wet covers and osmosis.  So moral of
the story, try to keep it out of sun and rain for long period, but if you cant
avoid this, don't put covers on the wings and tail.

Best
Richard
Kenya

Read this topic online here: