Europa-List: Angle of Incidence on a Classic Taildragger Downunder

Subject: Europa-List: Angle of Incidence on a Classic Taildragger Downunder
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 12:11:08

Gidday,
I have set up my port wing, pulling it in tight agains the rear face of the
cockpit
module and setting the incidence. I've used a digital level and upon bonding
on the LE lift pin socket I found the incidence had changed nominally. I have
attempted to make a small adjustment with the TE socket position which is
reduced but not bolted, yet. It was suggested that I could twist the spar
nominally
to get the angle accurate but to be honest I didn't like doing that although
I suppose it wouldn't have mattered that much because we might only be talking
about a % of a single degree of twist. Still, I didn't like that idea. Suffice
to say I now somehow have 2.8 degrees which is to me unacceptable, BUT,
its a lot of work to undo things. That probably isn't completely true as I only
have the sockets mounted with Redux, so I could heat them and snap them off
and start again, but I worry I'm going to do a lot of work and may well end up
right back where I've started. My pins fit nicely in the back of the seat, and
that took a lot of mucking around, and I worry that to undo things and redo
them I mightn't get the same result. I want to know what people think of this
angle, whether anyone else has not set it perfectly, what difference they
perceive
it might make on their plane, and whether anyone has factual consequence
of it not being 100% right. I do worry only about the relationship of the
tailplane
to the wing, but having a fully flyable tailplane removes some of the problems
of not having a perfect AoI. The impact could be however that at optimum
in trim cruise the tailplane may be at a slightly different angle at an optimum
CoG, and the full range of pitch may be not what was originally planned.

So, if anyone has advice I'd really appreciate input. I should also add that I
am building a taildraggers, a Bob Berube mod from Florida, which relies on the
same moments as the mono wheel by having the design such that the a/c has a
similar
stature on the ground. Maybe the higher AoI might be a bonus, and help
me fly away better, climb better, but no go quite as fast. To be honest, I don't
care anymore as I would prefer to not have to undo stuff I have done. I'm
becoming
pretty good at that but unfortunately keep practicing the skill.
Regards
Tony Renshaw