Europa-List: Re: Powerflarm

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Powerflarm
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:41:41

Where did this dictum that GPS antennae need be 0.5 m apart?
I am reasonably well read in the field of GPS and SDR, and have
never heard of such a thing.  In practice it is certainly not true.
I fly with a Blue Mountain EFIS with the external GPS antenna inside
my panel and my IPad backup is mounted such that its GPS antenna
is about 8 inches away and my iPhone GPS running about two feet away.
The assemblage in my car is similar. All gpss function as spec'd.
GPS devices are receivers and don't generate or transmit any noise in the
same band as the L1 and L2 bands. The heterodyne frequencies are below the
antenna
bandpass.

As for Apple blocking the connection of external GPS devices,
again simply not the case. What Apple did want not include a pre-written
GPS driver in the Bluetooth stack of its system software.
So far as I know, all the BT GPS like Dual (which I use), Bad Elf, etc,
use the serial driver in the BT stack to communicate. Simple enough for
programmer who writes the App software.

Cheers,

Ira

--------