RE: Europa-List: Use of reserve tank

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Use of reserve tank
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:37:12

Hi Bob,

One of the reasons Dave and I built the Europa was the promise of a motor glider
option, later on.  Even before buying the long wing kit, we felt it appropriate
to test some important issues.  For example, if you run the battery dead while
motor gliding with the engine off, can you do an 'air' start with a geared
engine, and could you  get it to stop wind milling during power off souring.
Both questions were answered in a very controlled experiment at altitude over
a 12,000 foot runway.  We were quite satisfied with the results.  It will stop
wind milling (at about 55 kts) for souring, and can be air restarted by pushing
the nose down a little to get a speed greater than normal for souring (about
110 kts).

The glider pilots out there are probably not quite  as nervous about flying
REALLY
quiet airplanes.

Regards,
Terry