Re: Europa-List: Use of reserve tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Use of reserve tank
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:28:02

Graeme, I measured my reserve long ago as having 11 litres
useable in it, a comfortable 1/2 hr reserve. It shouldn't
make any difference if you do turns (or even a loop!) as
they should be balanced so that neither you nor the fuel
wants to slide off to one side, but on top of that while
you are on main the reserve is constantly being topped up
by the return line.
     I have a low pressure warning light and on several
occasions I have flown until the main ran dry. This put my
light on, fairly soon followed by the engine running a bit
hesitantly! but with either the light or the hesitation
giving enough time to switch to reserve and carry on
normally. You would probably not want that to happen at a
critical stage of a demanding landing so switching to
reserve if you are close to running out makes excellent
sense if about to land. If you find yourself having to do
several go arounds and you cough on reserve, you can
always switch back to main!
regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ