Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:36:44

Dear friends,

In my fuel tank I have cut two small openings for fuel sensors. Serious
fuel leaks started to develop, so I have removed the sensors to have a look.

What I discovered is that in the area around the cut outs the tank wall
has become swollen and seriously distorted.

I remember some discussion on this forum about the treatment the fuel
tank received, that this treatment was only on the surface and once you
cut a hole in the tank the fuel can reach the unprotected material. I
tank mogas and the ethanol in it doesn't help either.

The question is now, what should I do? Is there any way to rescue the
affected material, or should I cut it out?
If I cut out the area, I have a new cut and will face the same problem
but on a larger scale, unless there is some way to treat the newly cut
opening. If I make a new cut, how can I prevent it from happening again?

Of course, replacement of the fuel tank is something I want to avoid at
all costs (and even then, I want to have fuel sensors in the new tank so
I will have to deal with the same problem anyway).

Is there any quick fix possible? This is the flying saison and I don't
want to spoil it if there is a way to postpone a more long lasting
repair until the winter.

Thanks in advance for some great ideas,
Frans