Re: Europa-List: You'll Cry Pip Pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: You'll Cry Pip Pins
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 11:55:42
All the lifting loads are taken by the lift pins on the side of the fuse. Th
e pip pins function only to tie the spars together and keep the wings from f
olding up under G.

The geometry is such that when the main spars are flexing under load, the pi
p pin locations on the spars move downward relative to the lift pins at the s
ide of the fuse (as the lift pins are further out along the radius of the fl
exing spars), so the net result is that the pip pins actually push DOWNWARDS
 on the seat back under high positive G's.....totally counter productive.  T
he seat back bushes should be clearance vertically IMHO to avoid this situat
ion.

The seat back bushes may however provide some (weak?) support in keeping the
 pip pins from twisting out of the spars under their asymmetrical twisting l
oad.  Many gliders use fork-spar arrangements to avoid this.

Cheers,
Pete
A239

On Jun 7, 2013, at 9:45 AM, "William Daniell" <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com> w
rote:

> Graham
>
> I am very interested by this statement .so as I understand it the
 spars are the main load bearing structure in the airpcraft if the s
eat back bush does not do the this what does?  How does the motorglider work
?

ver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of GRAHAM SINGLETON
> Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 04:42
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: You'll Cry Pip Pins
>
> Frans
> The pip pin on the port side is there to prevent the starboard spar from t
wisting away from the
> port spar under high load. The starboard side has no need of retention bec
ause the overlapping
> spar provides that function.
> Strictly speaking the bush in the seat back bulkhead is of no value, in fa
ct it increases the load on the spars.
> Be better without it as per the motor glider. (but DYOR)
> Graham

ort pip pins, another for the Std spar too?

www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
> _ref="http://forums.matronics.com/"; target="_blank">http://forums.matr
onbsp; Thank you for your generous nbsp;             -Matt Dralle, List Admi
n.

=========
=========
=========