Re: Europa-List: Trailing Edge Lift Pin Sockets........P.S.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trailing Edge Lift Pin Sockets........P.S.
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:14:50
Correct=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Pe
te <peterz@zutrasoft.com>=0ATo: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@ma
tronics.com> =0ASent: Sunday, 2 June 2013, 16:10=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List
: Trailing Edge Lift Pin Sockets........P.S.=0A =0A=0A--> Europa-List messa
ge posted by: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>=0A=0ANot commenting on chemistrie
s, but if we are talking about the rear lift sockets, it is my understandin
g that the rear pins are under tension during accelerated flight (like a pu
ll-up) preventing the wings from folding forward.=0A=0ACheers,=0APete=0AA23
9=0A=0AOn Jun 2, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
68@gmail.com>=0A> =0A>> Gidday again,=0A> I've already received a private m
essage telling me of other airframes with the problem of the lift pin plate
s being in the wrong place within the fuselage moulding. Comment was passed
 about the suitability of car bog, polyester based, with our epoxy layups,
and the PFA's view of its suitability under compressive load. Anticipating
some negative commentary I would like to make the following respectful comm
ents. Those doubters I'd like to ask, have you ever tried to remove car bog
 from something? My lower fuselage jig is bonded to the floor to keep it le
vel and true. I needed to use a chisel and a lot of effort to remove it. No
w a chisel is a very concentrated force, and I can guarantee the load exert
ed by the fuselage facing "face" of a rear lift pin socket would need an ex
orbitant amount of force to compress an entrapped amount of this polyester
resin based filler. Also, once encapsulated- in 4 plies of BID, whether i
t sticks to the BId or not, my
 belief is it will be ther!=0Ae !=0A> forever. I believe there is a greater
 likelihood of it being there in 50 years than plywood. Why didn't Europa u
se it as a medium in their manual? I believe because it was possibly overlo
oked, and did not have a historical base in aircraft structures. Personally
, if it is inert, doesn't age or shrink, is easily workable into complex sh
apes, or be sanded and shaped into such, I'd be happy with it in my bird, w
ith my kids on board. So, a bit of a vent really, but I am irritated I have
 to use an in exact method on some preconception it will be better, when I
think it won't. Mind you, Downunder like the US, I am allowed to make struc
tural modifications. I'm tempted, but my conservative pilot nature brings m
e here first. =0A> Regards=0A> Tony Renshaw=0A> Frustrated Aussie=0A> =0A>