Europa-List: Trailing Edge Lift Pin Sockets........P.S.

Subject: Europa-List: Trailing Edge Lift Pin Sockets........P.S.
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 23:09:26

> Gidday again,
I've already received a private message telling me of other airframes with the
problem of the lift pin plates being in the wrong place within the fuselage
moulding.
Comment was passed about the suitability of car bog, polyester based,
with our epoxy layups, and the PFA's view of its suitability under compressive
load. Anticipating some negative commentary I would like to make the following
respectful comments. Those doubters I'd like to ask, have you ever tried to
remove car bog from something? My lower fuselage jig is bonded to the floor to
keep it level and true. I needed to use a chisel and a lot of effort to remove
it. Now a chisel is a very concentrated force, and I can guarantee the load
exerted by the fuselage facing "face" of a rear lift pin socket would need an
exorbitant amount of force to compress an entrapped amount of this polyester
resin
based filler. Also, once encapsulated  in 4 plies of BID, whether it sticks
to the BId or not, my belief is it will be there forever. I believe there is
a greater likelihood of it being there in 50 years than plywood. Why didn't
Europa use it as a medium in their manual? I believe because it was possibly
overlooked,
and did not have a historical base in aircraft structures. Personally,
if it is inert, doesn't age or shrink, is easily workable into complex shapes,
or be sanded and shaped into such, I'd be happy with it in my bird, with
my kids on board. So, a bit of a vent really, but I am irritated I have to use
an in exact method on some preconception it will be better, when I think it
won't.
Mind you, Downunder like the US, I am allowed to make structural modifications.
I'm tempted, but my conservative pilot nature brings me here first.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Frustrated Aussie