Europa-List: Carb float settings Rorax 9xx

Subject: Europa-List: Carb float settings Rorax 9xx
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:09:50

Carl
I am resending this email, didn't want to take before?

Carl
I have just spent the last three weeks fighting carb issues and also installed
the overhaul kit. I also installed new carb bowls as mine were deformed from
over
torque on the attachment bolt. I have also replaced the attachment bolt for
the car bowl with the new type and oring. The new bolt has a recess for the
oring and therefore holds the oring in place! I was unsure about the distance
for the float arms as well. I reinstalled the old ones and measured the distance
---From the center of the arm to the flat area of where the main jet assembly
is screwed in. So the carb is sitting upside down for this measurement just like
the manual shows if you had the special rotax measuring device. Anyway I did
see that they are parallel to the body, your can see this pretty well. I also
measured from the center of the arm up to the carb flange that is right next
to the arm and is a reference point to see if the arm is parallel. That distance
was 11mm. I put the new arms back on and tweaked them so that they also are
the same as old or 11mm. That puts them parallel also. This worked for me. My
engine was running very rough at about 3000 rpm and then would bog down before
the carb overhaul. After the overhaul I could move thru the rough area and
smooth out again.
I went thru the mechanical balance and pneumatic balance,this helped but still
had rough spot. From my rotax class they had a trouble shooting method for
carbs.
Set the rpm at 2000 after engine is warm, then slowly pull the carb choke
out. The rpm should rise about 400 to 600 rpm then bog. That would be normal
for main jet setting. Mine only gained 200 rpm which indicates to lean a
setting.
I moved main jet needles on each carb to a richer position, lowered the clip
on each carb which raise the jet to a richer setting. Ran the engine and was
much better and the rough spot went away. Long story but my engine is now
running
smooth again thru all ranges.
But I still have a separate issue with my yellow caution lite blinking. The
rotax
folks want me to send it (tcu) in for a diagnosis, looks like I will be doing
that Monday. The light starts to blink at about 2300rpm and will stop if
throttle
down and then start again as rpms rose to about 2300. Even with the engine
not running the lite will come on when the throttle is advanced and extinguish
when pulled back. So looks like the throttle position sensor is working but
maybe not correct or the tcu is not working. This issue was there before I
overhauled the carbs so is not due to the overhaul.
I will start a new thread on this issue.
I will try attach a photo of the attachment bolt.
Good luck Carl.
Jerry

Sent from my iPad