Re: Europa-List: Throttle Stops

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Throttle Stops
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:32:43
Carly,

=46rom the Rotax Installation Manual, Page 2-4.

"The addition of a throttle-closed stop is important to avoid the
possibility of excess tension on the throttle cable causing loss of
throttle control"

Alan
On 30 May 2013, at 09:22, Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> I seem to recall in the early days of Europa that the PFA dictated
that we should install a physical throttle stop on the throttle lever
(in the cockpit).

> I have never really understood the purpose of this as the carburettors
have their own stops as IMHO one seems to fight against the other. As
soon as you increase the idle RPM using the adjuster screws on the carb,
the throttle lever is pulled forward by the cables, moving the lever
away from the cockpit stop.

> We have flown quite happily with the carb stop limiting the slow
running with  a gap of about 2 mm between the rear of the throttle lever
and the stop block (tufnol). However,  we have just overhauled the carbs
and are resetting the balances etc so were wondering if this omission
needs to be addressed ' it would just be a matter of elongating the
holes in the throttle stop.

> Reading through various articles on Rotax/ Bing carburettor balancing
I note that these also stress the need for a cockpit end stop but give
no explanation as to why.