Europa-List: Throttle Stops

Subject: Europa-List: Throttle Stops
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:22:46
I seem to recall in the early days of Europa that the PFA dictated that we
should install a physical throttle stop on the throttle lever (in the
cockpit).

I have never really understood the purpose of this as the carburettors have
their own stops as IMHO one seems to fight against the other. As soon as you
increase the idle RPM using the adjuster screws on the carb, the throttle
lever is pulled forward by the cables, moving the lever away from the
cockpit stop.

We have flown quite happily with the carb stop limiting the slow running
with  a gap of about 2 mm between the rear of the throttle lever and the
stop block (tufnol). However,  we have just overhauled the carbs and are
resetting the balances etc so were wondering if this omission needs to be
addressed - it would just be a matter of elongating the holes in the
throttle stop.

Reading through various articles on Rotax/ Bing carburettor balancing I note
that these also stress the need for a cockpit end stop but give no
explanation as to why.

I'm sure there is a good reason, just need someone to cast some light on
this.