Europa-List: Drop in RPM/Mag drop

Subject: Europa-List: Drop in RPM/Mag drop
From: Hans Joergen Danielsen <hansjd@online.no>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:00:25
Engine Gurus!

The engine (914) of the Europa I built, and subsequently sold is not up to
acceptable
standards. The new owner experienced a drop in RPM combined with a cracling
noise in the head set. The Flydat also went temporarly black. He was barely
able to maintain altitude and on return to the airfield he switched on the
secondary fuel pump. After awhile the engine regained power. In the heat of the
moment he forgot to check the fuel pressure when the engine was faltering.

During investigation we experienced a slight delay on initial switching of the
fuel pump - till we heard the familiar sound of the pump. During later switching
everything was normal.

We have tried everything - jigling contacts with pump running, changing to
another
switch on the panel and even checked the battery itself, to no avail. We are
about to run out of ideas.

This may be a separate snag in itself. When running the engine the Mag drop was
unaceptably high - 400 rpm on Left and 300 rpm on Right magneto. We regapped
the plugs to 0.70 mm, but no effect. We noticed though that both plugs on
Cylinder
1 were black with soot while all the others were normal grey. After cleaning
the plugs and running for a few more minutes, the plugs got all black again.
What could this be - a compression leak? I am ruling out the carburetor, since
the plugs on the other cylinder on the same side - which is being fed from
the same manifold - was normal grey.

I'm tossing out these problems to all you knowledgeable people in the group. Any
with a good advice??

Cheers, Hans - ex LN-HJD