Re: Europa-List: Re: mid-door latch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: mid-door latch
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:35:43
Too true John.
I have not been privy to the article on door departure.
Could someone send me a copy via email to review?

I'm afraid that in my career, I have seen many canopy losses and gear up
landings.  Bitching Betty annunciators, and warning lights doesn't
prevent loss, a good old look at the latches and in lighter planes
pushing on the canopy does.  In the F-4, the Back Seater, read the
checklist and was listening for "Canopy closed, locked, warning light
out, stripes aligned (the mechanical locking indicator because the
canopy weighed 275 pounds and you really couldn't move it) then took off
with his canopy mechanically unlocked but the warning light out
(misadjusted switch).  OOPs.  Trust me, if you have one latch undone on
the Europa (or Cherokee) door, if you push on the door, it will crack
open.  Make it a habit to push on both clamshell doors in your safety
check prior to takeoff, it works well, requires no power, wiring, or
crafty workmanship.  If you are not flexible enough to move easily to
reach to the aft end of the door, lean forward and push on the middle of
the door (use caution with ladies to whom you are not intimate with) and
it still works.  My concern is that it is not hard to add light switches
or drill the shoot bolt so the pin can be observed but it gets ignored
unless the habits are instilled in one's preflight operation.
Upholsterer's and painters can screw up those warning systems unless you
supervise them properly.  I have seen many stall warning lights on at
totally flying speeds and were ignored because the builder just didn't
have time to fix it, and I have been on the runway when the canopy light
was on because it was hot, the canopy quickly closed and the takeoff
roll started and aborted by me, the observer pilot, because the pilot
was preoccupied to get off the ground for traffic (he trusted me, and it
was my door).  Another was lost because the front pin was not engaged
and the warning light switch was installed only on the aft pin.  Only
good habits, visual confirmation and honest checklist compliance work
for sure as familiarity breeds contempt.  We are creatures of habit...

Regards,
Bud Yerly