Re: Europa-List: Re: Power loss and Inspecting comments

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Power loss and Inspecting comments
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:20:07
Roland,
On an open trailer, it is no different than fuelling a bowzer (large
tank) on a trailer.  If the bowzer is grounded to the trailer, it is
grounded to the tow vehicle and fueling is as safe as fuelling your auto
using acceptable methods.  See some interesting videos on: U tube by
just searching static electricity fuelling.  Some things look dumb, but
static electricity sparks come from the fuel moving through a nozzle, a
vehicle rolling on a road, an aircraft flying or a silk blouse rubbing
across a velour seat cover then touching the fuel nozzle or tank inlet.

For your towed aircraft, the trailer should be grounded to the towing
vehicle but the aircraft may not be grounded to the trailer.   If the
aircraft is not grounded to the trailer, ground your aircraft to the
trailer, then it is as safe as fuelling your auto can be.

If the mono trailer is used, the gear arm is in contact with the ramp
which is a pretty good ground.  However, the gear frame really does not
attach to the outer skin anywhere to my knowledge as it bolts internally
and the firewall contacts the frame, but is painted and inside the cowl.
  The engine is directly connected to the frame.  A short ground strap
to the tailpipe would be just the ticket.   Many fliers use a wire cable
attached to a hook and winch to pull the aircraft on the trailer, so the
mono's rear wheel should suffice.  Just put your hand on the gas station
pump outside or nozzle, touch the metal trailer frame and then pull the
nozzle and touch the cap ring and and you should have a neutral charge.
This is probably what you are doing now and just don't realize it.

 On my trailer for my trigear I have cables around the main gear disk
brakes which strap down the aircraft to the floor and are grounded.
However, I still fuel with the aircraft on the ground not on the trailer
using a Jerry Can rather than with the plane on the trailer from the
pump,  which seems to be so popular in Europe.

Regards,
Bud