Re: Europa-List: Power loss and Inspecting comments

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Power loss and Inspecting comments
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 23:40:07
Jim, and tibits for the rest of us:
After the tire failure and the subsequent off roading mud and dirt
experience while cross country, I commend you for your pursuit of the
problem which cost you much time, and money.  You knew you had a mud
plugged vent, but an experienced guy like you missed the kinked vent
line cause.  So what's a normal guy to do?

I had to ponder that we (really me), are always quick to assume an
engine related problem is causing the power loss.  You told me about
finding the kink but I still assumed that you had a carb problem.  You
cleared the clogged vent, but who would have thought about the rest of
the vent system and a possible kinked line when the plane has been
flying for years.  I am anal about fuel system install and operation,
but once installed, I rarely look beyond making sure there is not
chaffing or leaks.

Added for all of us:
Recently I just finished an extended annual and another fuel tank
replacement / annual in a couple aircraft that I helped customers build
back in 2002 and 2004.  Interesting to note that on both aircraft, that
they were past the 5 year hose replacement timeframe (we all dread
that).  In both aircraft I found that the vent line was kinked or
compromised.  In one of the aircraft when the upholsterer forced the
fabric around the fuel cover he had forced the fuel cover over one of
the polyurethane vent lines and over time the cover pushed on it nearly
flat so it barely vented properly, and on the other, the vent line was
perfect looking, but the hose was horribly brittle because the vent tube
was made from clear Tygon tubing.  Tygon is supposed to be completely
impervious to fuel related problems.  Duh, maybe not...

In my old Europa Operators Manual there was the requirement to pull the
fuel bosses off and flush the tank annually, which is quite tough, but
never to check our vent system, and in the new ops manual, it only
indicates to check and inspect for leaks.  The 5 year recommendation for
changing hoses is still there, but not the vent lines.  Vent lines never
get checked.

As far as I know, you are the first with an underside vent that ever got
plugged, however, you are the only mono I know of with the vent on the
bottom and operate off of grass a lot.  In the trigear the vent on the
bottom is always clean, but your point of the oil overflow on the right
side of the cowl exit and a centrally located vent will be a potential
problem for oil, grime and dirt.  I'll have to admit I will make sure my
annual checklist is changed to check the vents.

I prefer not to vent out of the top because with the motor glider in
turns when trying to soar, the fuel sprays out of the vent in right
turns.  It also will vent fuel out if overfilled on a hot day in Florida
and let set in the sun (especially a mono), which of course can ruining
the paint.

Inspecting an aircraft is not an exact science.  Manufacturers and
regulating agencies give only vague guidance.  We are the manufacturer
as the builder, so we set the guidelines for inspections of our
aircraft, and if the kit manufacturer gives guidance, we the
manufacturer of the aircraft should be more specific, not less to
include info on our added systems, changes, modifications, and
additional wear areas or time change items due to all the above.  I'm in
the US, and have my A&P use the FAA FAR 43 Appendix D as well as the
engine 100 hour checklist and I insist on him using the Kit
Manufacturers guidelines such as the Appendix E of the build manual and
Section 8 of the Ops manual when inspecting an experimental aircraft.
Now, I have been accused of doing a complete rebuild instead of an
annual inspection, but I am anal so that is my excuse, but on an
experimental aircraft (especially one I didn't help build or maintain) I
have found that there are many non standard items, routing conflicts
between wiring, fuel lines, brake lines and control cables, as well as
poor installation of equipment and structural construction mistakes that
the builder and final FAA inspector missed on the initial Airworthiness
Inspection.  The FAA actually requires us, as US Experimental Aircraft
Manufacturers, to have established maintenance and operations
procedures.

I am attaching my personal annual inspection checklist out in the open
to show what we the builder can do to improve the inspections on our
aircraft.  I only just added an item to inspect the fuel vents since you
called me about the problem weeks ago.  I developed this checklist long
ago, before becoming a Europa owner and just tailored it to include
items in the Europa Section 8 inspection, the FAA and LAA recommended
guidelines etc.  I am preparing to submit some of this info in a
condensed fashion in an updated Tech Support section of Europa's Website
as well as some other notes we all should know when maintaining the
Europa.  Now this is my personal checklist, not for general
dissemination as a Europa Directive, but provided for others to see that
an annual inspection is not a walk around.  But then again, it is not an
IRAN (Inspect and Repair as Necessary) like the military does by
completely disassembling every panel, inside and out, instruments,
wings, engine, etc. and inspect, refurbish, service and repair all the
above, it is however, more than a quick check for wrinkles in the skin,
change the oil and sign it off.

Great job of troubleshooting and thanks for the report Jim.  Your
findings and my recent observations have changed my annual checklist for
sure...

Regards,
Bud Yerly