Re: Europa-List: Antenna installations

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Antenna installations
From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 10:21:58
Re aerials for Comms  etc.
What is wrong with the aerial described in the build manual ?

The link you sent shows a di pole aerial and claims its Hi gain ! ! how
 hi-gain ?  It is not stated but is probably a 1/2 wave dipole exactly like
the one described in the manual.
It also states that it can be used within the wingtip of a metal
aircraft " They
will work in metal airframes when a plastic or fiberglass wing tip or
similar plastic component is available to provide the mounting structure"
that implies that the aerial is mounted horizontally  ( unless the wing is
several feet thick ) and so will not match the comms VHF system which is
vertically polarised.

I recently had a problem with my standard fin closeout mounted aerial but
that was caused by a poor intermittent contact in the BNC connecter . When
it was connected correctly it seemed to be delivering perfectly adequate
performance  at a much lower price.
I am sure that experts will have their views on this but my reading of the
article raises real technical questions regarding the claims made in it.

Tim H
G-BZTH
p.s. a length of RG58 coax with the last 1/2 meter or so stripped out and
the inner core and outer screen separated and mounted vertically one up and
one down will act as a very usable aerial