Re: Europa-List: Fuel Selector Extension

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Selector Extension
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:00:22

Alan,
One other thing I did.
I drilled a hole in the rod extension (door end) and tapped it to be able to
screw
the same small bolt in to it to tighten the selector to the rod extension.
Most important. Works a treat.
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 25/10/2012, at 5:38 PM, Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
> So the fuel cock is mounted on the floor on the fuselage between the seats and
the pilot has to access a door to reach down and change to RESERVE in an
emergency.
NOT GOOD!
> So I took off the fuel selector arm and replaced it with a drill extension rod
that you can buy down at your local hardware shop. One end has a female adaptor
with a grub screw to tighten onto the male axle of the fuel selector cock.
(Sounds a little rude!) The other end you can cut to length so that the end will
appear above the door through a hole directly above the fuel cock. You can
then file the end to the shape of the selector hole to fit it, orientated in
the same way as the selector was below.
> I replaced the door with an aluminum piece and then inscribed on the aluminum
OFF/ MAIN /RESERVE and incorporated a spring loaded stop bar to stop turning
the selector to OFF by mistake.
> Consequently you have easily available the ability to switch tanks and turn
> the
fuel off, if necessary, with seconds.
> I made a bigger selector out of blue foam shaped around the metal selector and
then fiberglass to strengthen it, glued and painted.
> Sorry I haven't a photo as I am in Japan but will be back on Saturday and will
try to remember to send you a photo as a picture is much easier to understand.