Re: Europa-List: Re: 914 - rough running, and RPM drop when testing the

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: 914 - rough running, and RPM drop when testing the
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:49:15
Kees
Had the same experience.  Good ohm check of the coil, but after buying
two coils and swapping them around, finally found the bad one.  Tell
tale sign was the steel plates that make up the core had corroded and
began to split a bit at the edge.  Autopsy revealed the inside was
worse.  I guess the distance of the split of only a fraction of a mm
reduced the coils effectiveness.  Found a second coil with corrosion and
changed it out also.

We also used a timing light on each plug wire looking for weak spark or
a miss, and that was somewhat effective finding it also.  Very
frustrating to do though, as the proximity of the pickup to the plug and
direction of the pickup must be the same on each cylinder to get results
that are conclusive.

Bottom line is it is a bit of trial and error.  Not for the impatient or
those of limited means.  It takes a bit of time.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Tech Support