Europa-List: Re: A question to the American "Europeans"

Subject: Europa-List: Re: A question to the American "Europeans"
From: AirEupora <AirEupora@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:52:15

I am a professional flight instructor and teach almost every day.  It was
interesting
when I applied for my airplane insurance. The company wanted me to have
three hours in make and model.  I put the word out on the web asking for
somebody
to give me the three hours.  I'd paid for the gas, but the only response
was from Bud.  The trip out to Florida would have cost me at lease a thousand
dollars.  Figure three days, one out and one back then one day for the flight.
 After not getting any local help I called the Insurance company and explained
my problem.  They changed the three flight hours to three hours of ground
training.
I talked to Bud and took off on my first flight with the understanding
that I might not have insurance for the first three hours.

As an Instructor I have to have five hours of flight time in any aircraft that
I give instruction in.  Getting those five hours have been difficult.   My
hangar
mate has a Cozy IV and he has asked me to fly it for the first flight, but
I don't have the time in the plane plus the insurance company is requiring 25
hours of time.

In the U.S. the insurance requirements are the main issue.  Some of the better
Experiential airplane company have a team of pilots that give the would be owner
the training.  I went up to VAN's and got an hour in an RV-8.  Love it.  The
pilot that I flew with had over a thousand hours in the RV-8 and the like
products.

I have offered my services to Bud, but I don't have the mono wheel training in
the Europa.  Mine is a tri- gear.  Then there is the conventional  gear Europa.

I have over 13 thousand hours in helicopters and airplanes.  I have been to a
number
of accident sites of homebuild's and went through the FAA school on home
build aircraft.  It was fun as the instructors did not like the home build
aircraft
and made it know during class.  The biggest problem is with the builder
pilot.  They have been building the aircraft for 3 to 10 years.  They want to
get it flying.  They have not followed the AC's.  They are not current.  The
aircraft as not been inspected by enough people.   I believe I had over ten
people
look at my plane and I'm and A&P/AI.  Each one found something that need
attention.  A lot of the pilots flight skills are not up to the level that they
should be. They have not taken advantage of the EAA Tech Councilor program or
the Flight Advisor program.

We had one EAA member sell his RV-6 and he offered to give the guy some flight
training in the plane before he took it home.  He refused the training. He
crashed
the plane on landing at his home base.

I give a class every year at the EAA West Coast flight in on "First Flight"  I
only get about ten people each year.  It was great this year, as that morning,
I had taken my first flight in the Europa.  It only lasted six minutes, but I
had flown it.

Read this topic online here: