Re: Europa-List: beringer wheel & brake for monowheel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: beringer wheel & brake for monowheel
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:37:29

Rowland,

FWIW, I had about 4 hours and a dozen takeoffs/landings with my monowheel set up
with the brake on the control column.  I liked far better than the tunnel
mounted
hand brake.  Left hand could hold the tail down and hold the brake for runup
freeing the right hand for throttle, ignition check, etc.  My brake master
had a parking brake feature that used a cam to lock the squeeze on the brake
handle.  I imagine it's about the same on the one you describe.  taxiing with
3 fingers on the column and 1 finger on the brake lever was easy and the brake
easy to modulate that way.  Same for takeoff.  Taxi into position.  One finger
holds the brake while the power comes on, release the finger and away you go.
On landing you simply keep all fingers off the brake lever till you have slowed
sufficiently to apply the brake.  Again, it just takes a single finger moved
---From the column to the brake lever for braking.  I found that the best
location
for the lever was clocked over to about the 1:30 position on the column.

I posted an album in my section on the EuropaOwners.org site documenting the
trials
and tribulations of my installation (Mods and other hardware things).  I
would bet that the installation you are looking at would be much easier and more
complete.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Sep 10, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10 Sep 2012, at 16:37, Rowland Carson wrote:

> Did anyone else at the LAA Rally notice the Beringer wheel & brake upgrade kit
for the Europa monowheel?

Answering my own post .... I made a query on the Beringer website and have just
received the response:

"The full technical data is not available yet, this kit is brand new will be
available
for sale beginning of October.

The master cylinder is not in the tunnel but on the stick with an integrated
reservoir
and a parking pin.
Wheel-brake-tyre-Axle are changed as well as the brake lines.
A pressure limiter is included in the kit."

I can see pros & cons for the master cylinder mounted on the stick. Anyone else
like the sound of it?

in friendship

Rowland